A Time to Every Purpose

When in doubt, there’s always the little yellow book.

I’ve been going through a rather strange period lately.

My identity has been hacked, my bank account has been robbed, I’m making all sorts of bonehead mistakes in all facets of my life, and I’m starting to seriously wonder just what in the hell is my mission on this earth.

About the only bright spot in all this grief is that my missing funds have been restored, and I’m incredibly thankful for this.

I still don’t know how the theft happened and so right now my personal computer is in the shop getting a malware check to make sure it didn’t occur on my end. I blame my bank, but then I am pretty angry about the whole situation.

I’m a great believer in signs and portents—fuck logic and facts—am I right, people?--and I’d like to think that this all started a few weeks ago when my cable unit went all schizoid and the repair guy decided that the only way to address the problem was to replace the entire unit without telling me.

I was about five feet away working on the company laptop in my kitchen at that time, so I don’t think consulting with me before taking such a drastic step would’ve been exceptionally challenging.

When I asked him if I still had access to all the movies and programs I had recorded on my DVR he shook his head in the negative. Among other things, I was saving my 2010 appearance CNN when I read my father’s poem about World War II.

“I’m sorry,” he said, sensing my consternation.

I thought I’d be angry, but I was reasonably okay with it. I’d had several of those films for years and I never even thought about looking at them.

Turn, Turn, Turn...

And I’m pretty sure I can track down that CNN interview if I have a great desire to watch it again. If I can’t, well, that would suck significantly, but it would certainly be survivable. Still, I do wish I hadn’t tipped that guy…

I had an extremely rough week on the professional side, and combined with the hacking business I’ve been a bit of an emotional dumpster fire.

Friday, the day I normally live for, was particularly bad and I was quite literally praying on my Rosary beads in search of relief.

I did get some—thank you, Lord!—but I feel like I’m on the verge of a major change and I don’t know if it will be good or bad, but I know things can’t stay the same much longer.


Which brings me to the little yellow book. A while back Fred the Shrink gave me a copy of A Guide for the Advanced Soul, a collection of powerful quotations. The idea is that you focus on whatever is troubling you, open to a random page in the book, and you’ll find an answer.

On one level this sounds perfectly ridiculous and about as reliable as Ouija boards, tarot cards, and the Magic 8 Ball.

But I’ve already expressed my disdain for rationality and so on Friday, when I was ready to run screaming down the street in my underwear, I took hold of my little yellow book, pondered the future, and opened it up.

To everything there is a season,” it read, citing the open line of Ecclesiastes 3:1-8and a time to every purpose under heaven.”

Okay, then. Besides being a hit recording for the Byrds, what does this have to do with me?

The passage seems to be about seeking balance, something that is sorely missing in my world right now.

Perhaps a season of my life is coming to an end and a new one is about to begin. Summer is changing to fall as I write this and it’s is a good time to let the old, useless parts of my life drop away like autumn leaves.

I’ll do whatever I have to do to be happy, I’ll always carry my little yellow book, and if I do any screaming I'll make sure to keep my pants on.

Comments

Bijoux said…
Oh Rob, so sorry for your troubles. It's all too much at times. The book is an interesting concept. I see that it's similar to astrology, where you could read every sign's horoscope and relate it to something in your life. Here's to better days ahead!
Ron said…
Rob, I am so happy to hear that your missing funds have been restored - whew! I know that was a very stressful experience, I'd be plenty angry as well.

I had no idea about the interview you gave with CNN??? I clicked on the archive post link you provided and realized that the post was written before we met. However, I did read the interview on CNN.com. What a powerful story!

"....I feel like I’m on the verge of a major change..."

Just to let you know, over the past 6 months, I too have felt that way. I felt a "change" coming on. I felt as if I was shedding my life as it was; only to be replaced by something new. For me, it was the decision I finally made to move back to New York because I could sense that my time here in Philadelphia was over because I have felt incredibly stifled and uninspired here.

I've noticed something about life - in order for something new to begin, the old has to die. It's like a rebirth.

"Perhaps a season of my life is coming to an end and a new one is about to begin. Summer is changing to fall as I write this and it’s is a good time to let the old, useless parts of my life drop away like autumn leaves."

Yes, exactly!

So take this a "good sign" that something new is coming your way, buddy!

Have a great week!
Rob K said…
Hey, Ron, how's it going?

I really appreciate your rebirth comments. I know that something is missing in my life and I feel like I'm heading in the wrong direction. I really applaud your decision to move to New York and I wish you all the luck in the world with that!

We didn't know each other when I did the CNN interview--too bad, I would've loved to get your feedback on it. If I do get a copy of the show, I'll make sure to send it to you.

I'm so glad you're in my corner, buddy. Take care and have a fantastic week!

Rob K said…
@Bijoux:

Thanks so much! It's been really crazy and I'm tripping over my feet here. I'm looking forward to some peace and quite in the near future--I hope!

Take care!
The way you approached the situation is very practical and sound. I have been learning to let go and accept more. It's a long process because you have to remind yourself that your are not forsaking duties but coming to terms with who you are as a person, especially a flawed person.

Greetings from London.
Rob K said…
Hey, Mario! Accepting and letting go are probably my two greatest challenges. But they offer such great rewards. And coming to terms with who you are as a person is a priceless state of being.

Thanks and do take care!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

Getting Connected

‘Permanently Closed’